This document describes how to integrate Fortanix Data Security Manager (DSM) with Sumo Logic (SIEM) on Linux Server.
- DSM – Data Security Manager
Data Security Manager is the cloud solution secured with Intel® SGX. With Fortanix DSM, you can securely generate, store, and use cryptographic keys and certificates, as well as secrets, such as passwords, API keys, tokens, or any blob of data.
- Sumo Logic
Sumo Logic is a security information and event management (SIEM) solution that provides security analysts with enhanced visibility across the enterprise to thoroughly understand the impact and context of an attack. Sumo Logic offers streamlined workflows that automatically triage alerts to maximize security analyst efficiency and focus.
3.0 Download and Install Sumo Logic Collector in Linux
3.1 System Requirements
System requirements for Linux:
- Linux, major distributions 64-bit, or any generic Unix capable of running Java 1.8
- Single core, 512MB RAM
- 8GB disk space
- Package installers require TLS 1.2 or higher
3.2 Download the Collector
Download the collector in one of the following ways:
- In Sumo Logic, select Manage Data -> Collection -> Collection. Click Add Collector, click Installed Collector, and then click the link for the collector to begin the download.
- Open a browser and enter the static URL for your pod. The collector begins to download. See Download a Collector from a Static URL for a list of URLs for your deployment pod.
Fortanix recommends using the collector manually by downloading the
.sh installation file corresponding to your endpoint. For example, for downloading the collector for Linux 64
bit, use the link:
Run the following command:
ubuntu@sumologictest:~$ sudo wget https://collectors.in.sumologic.com/rest/download/linux/64
--2022-05-11 05:22:09-- https://collectors.in.sumologic.com/rest/download/linux/64
Resolving collectors.in.sumologic.com (collectors.in.sumologic.com)... 188.8.131.52, 184.108.40.206, 220.127.116.11, ...
Connecting to collectors.in.sumologic.com (collectors.in.sumologic.com)|18.104.22.168|:443... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 200 OK
Length: 84905788 (81M) [application/octet-stream]
Saving to: '64.1'
64.1 100%[=======================================================================>] 80.97M 93.5MB/s in 0.9s
2022-05-11 05:22:11 (93.5 MB/s) - '64.1' saved [84905788/84905788]
Figure 1: Downloading the Connector on Linux 64 bit Server
3.3 Generate Access Keys
To generate access keys:
- On the user interface (UI) click Profile --> Preferences --> Add Access Key.
Figure 2: Add Access Key
- Enter a name for the key and click Create Key.
Figure 3: Create Access Key
For more details, refer to the article Access Keys.
3.4 Install the Connector
You can choose one of the following methods to install the Collector:
- UI installer (This method does not support all advanced settings)
- Command line installer
- RPM/Debian package
- Binary package
The easiest and the fastest way to install the connector is by using the command displayed below and replacing the values of accesskey and accessid.
ubuntu@sumologictest:~$ sudo ./SumoCollector.sh -q -Vsumo.accessid=suVzuyDcEwXy6u -Vsumo.accesskey=Kjpta1Obvs5SZMSYoyxYrAKNBTTtrgtPdSTLNXRyRZYS4zyzGcwZaBOauyQfmbih
Unpacking JRE ...
Starting Installer ...
2022-05-11 05:25:14,118 main WARN The bufferSize is set to 8192 but bufferedIo is false: false
Uninstalling previous version
To learn more about installing a collector on Linux, refer to the article Install a Collector on Linux.
Once the collector is installed, it appears under Manage -> Collection.
Figure 4: Collector Appears in Sumo Logic
3.5 Configure Syslog Server
3.5.1 Configure Syslog Server on Sumo Logic
- Click Manage Data ->Collection.
- Click Edit next to Syslog Server.
- Select Protocol as TCP, Port as 514, leave the rest of the settings as default, and then click Save.
Figure 5: Configure the Connector in Sumo Logic
3.5.2 Configure Syslog Server on Fortanix DSM
- Log in to https://www.sdkms.fortanix.com
- Click Settings -> Log Managements.
- Click Syslog.
Figure 6: Configure the Syslog Server in Fortanix DSM
- Click Edit Configuration and update the Host IP. Host IP is the server where you have installed the Sumo Collector.
Figure 7: Edit Syslog Server Configuration in Fortanix DSM
3.6 View Audit Logs in Sumo Logic
Once all the above steps are completed, you can see all the audit logs in the Sumo Logic Screen.
Figure 8: View Audit Logs in Sumo Logic
You can further customize the data and chart by writing a query on the search bar. For example:
_sourceCategory="Fortanix" and _collector="sumologictest" |
| timeslice 1h
| count by _timeslice
| order by _timeslice