This article describes the Fortanix Self-Defending KMS Export Key feature. It also contains the information related to:
- Export key as Encrypted key material
- Export key as components
Encrypt Key Before Export
This section describes “Export Key as Encrypted Key Material” feature of Fortanix Self-Defending KMS. The example assumes that:
- A key with “Export” key permissions exists in the group.
- The group has the following quorum policy: the members Approver1 and Approver2 form a quorum group, and 1 out the 2 member’s approvals are required to approve an operation in the group.
In this example:
- A group administrator User1 creates an “Export Key as Encrypted Key Material” request.
- The goal is to export the AES key named “Key 1” so that User1 can download the key.
- First, the group administrator User1 creates an “Export Key as Encrypted Key Material” request by navigating to the detailed view of the key “Key 1” to be exported and should click EXPORT KEY. The following figure shows a detailed view of the SO "Key 1".
NOTE: The EXPORT KEY button will be disabled:
- If the Key type is not AES, DES, HMAC, or DES3.
- If the Key does not have the “Export” permission selected or Quorum Policy set.
- The Wrapping Key must have the ”WRAP” permission.
Figure 1: Export key disabled
Figure 2: Export as encrypted key material
- In the “EXPORT KEY” form, the administrator (User1) selects the AS ENCRYPTED KEY MATERIAL radio button and provides the following details:
- Select Wrapping Key: Select the key with “WRAP” permission that will be listed to wrap the key “Key1” before being exported.
- Click SUBMIT EXPORT REQUEST to submit the export request.
Figure 3: Submit export request
- Once the “Export by Components” request Is created, a quorum approval request will be sent to those group members that form part of the group quorum policy. In this example, Approver1 and Approver3 will receive a notification (Figure 4) that the requester User1 has created an “Export by Encrypted Key Material” request for the key “Key 1”.
- The following figure shows Approver1’s account page, where the “Export Key by Components” request is shown. At this point, Approver1 can approve or decline the request.
Figure 4: Export request to approveThe Approvers can also review the export key request from TASKS tab -> PENDING tab -> Approval tab in the Fortanix Self-Defending KMS UI.
Figure 5: Review export key task
- The Approver1 can review the export request by clicking the APPROVE button. This step must also be performed by Approver2 so that quorum is achieved. Once the quorum Approvers approve the “Key Export” request, the Exported Key will now be available for User1 to download under the TASKS tab -> PENDING tab -> Import/Export tab in the Fortanix Self-Defending KMS UI or in the Dashboard view.
Figure 6: Download the key
- Any Approver can cancel the export operation by clicking the DECLINE button. At this point, the “Export by Encrypted Key Material” request is declined, and the users will not receive the key components. This state is final; once a request is declined by a reviewer, it cannot be approved even if other approvers approve the request.
- By clicking the DOWNLOAD THE KEY link, the user will be displayed with the export key details showing the Wrapped key, Key KCV, and the format to download the key. Click DOWNLOAD THE KEY to successfully download the key.
Figure 7: Review and download the key
Encrypt Key as Components
The Export Key as Components feature allows a user to export a key as components to other users such that each user has a component of the key. To export a key as components:
- A Key Custodian policy should be set at the group level.
- A Quorum Policy should exist for the group.
- In the absence of the above policies, the Export Key button will be disabled.
For the complete end-to-end workflow of the “Export key by component” feature, refer to the article https://support.fortanix.com/hc/en-us/articles/360043559332-User-s-Guide-Key-Components#KeyExport.